mima Logo
Free Admission

History


mima opening (c) reaction fireworks

mima opened to the public on 27 January 2007.

Middlesbrough’s art collection was originally split across the town’s three arts venues – Middlesbrough Art Gallery, Cleveland Craft Centre and Cleveland Gallery.

Middlesbrough Art Gallery
The Carnegie Library and Grange Road Methodist Church housed Middlesbrough’s growing art collections from 1927 to 1957. In 1957 Middlesbrough Council bought a former doctor’s surgery in Linthorpe, the town’s new cultural hub. This Middlesbrough Art Gallery became the new home to the collection. In 2003 the Middlesbrough Art Gallery closed its doors for the final time.

Cleveland Craft Centre
Cleveland Craft Centre was based at Gilkes Street in Middlesbrough town centre.  The Cleveland Craft Centre was built on the ceramic heritage of the town and Linthorpe Art Pottery (1879–1889). It was also home to collections of 20th century British studio ceramics and contemporary  jewellery. The Cleveland Crafts Centre was closed as an exhibition venue in January 2003.

Cleveland Gallery
Cleveland Gallery was the sister institution to Cleveland Craft Centre. It was responsible for the Cleveland International Drawing Biennale; a drawing competition that saw invited artists like Sol LeWitt take part, the competition ended in the 1990s. The gallery closed in 1999: the building is now owned by Teesside University.


Copyright mima. All rights reserved
TU Logo
Middlesbrough Council Logo
Arts Council Logo
Visitors Logo